Friday, March 9, 2012

Hugs Needed

 

 Yesterday was such a crazy day at school.  A teacher workday on Friday along with "The Great Event" for kids who had brought in at least sixty dollars for our annual fundraiser and hat day (for a dollar donation to Relay for Life) had them acting "squirrely."  I was dealing with collecting parent surveys, field trip money (we're taking the 7th grade to see "The Hunger Games"), collecting problem solution essays, and simply trying to keep students focused.  I was feeling particularly frazzled!
     As soon as I could, I started conferring, trying to slow down the morning and unwind. I called N. to bring his Netbook and come see me.  My students complete reading responses on Google Docs.  I regularly comment back to them in the comment stream there, but I also like to meet with them face to face to discuss the strengths and needs I see in their responses and see what goals they have as readers.  Finishing up my conference with N., I opened my notebook to record some notes.  My computer "dinged" while I was writing so I knew I had an email.  I decided to check it before chatting with the next student.  I was not feeling as flustered, but still I felt tense from all the demands of the morning.
     I sometimes get these little reminders to slow down (as I've already shared in my slice from Day 2).  The email I read made me not only slow down, it made me stop what I was doing entirely! It reminded me that while all the things I had been doing that morning were necessary and a part of my life as a teacher, the most important part is listening to my students and helping them cope with some really tough life lessons sometimes.     

     Joselyn needed a hug ; everything else could wait.

   

6 comments:

  1. Wow! That put things into perspective, didn't it. What a compliment too, to know she trusted you. I think perhaps you needed a hug too. Thank you, this made me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Janet for commenting. Yes, we both needed a hug. She is a special young lady and it touched my heart that she was feeling like this remembering the passing of her grandfather. You're right too; it did put the rest of the day into perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She certainly does trust you. Kind of makes you step back and breathe. Happy for her that you know enough to let everything else wait. Not everyone knows enough to put school on the back burner and just give a hug..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad she let me know what was on her heart. She is a quiet child so I am so proud of her for telling me because not too long ago she would have just drifted through the day feeling down without saying a word. NO TEST can measure that kind of growth!

      Delete
  4. Slow down . . . that is what our principal reminded us to do today. Our kids need us, they have so much going on in their little lives, and we need to remember to slow down, observe, enjoy, listen and be there. Thank you for always being their fir your students - it's obvious she knows you will be there for her. That is just awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle. You are always so encouraging and upbeat. I appreciate you stopping by and sharing your thoughts with me.

      Delete